Don't quote me on this:

If i rant here i dont need to burn someone's ears off!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Became a Christian on the 10/03/00 and my life hasn't been the same since... I went to Uganda, China and South Africa on short term mission, spent 4 years at Bristol University, and five working in Kent & London. I'm now enjoying working as a student pastor in Leeds, being married and learning to be a dad!

Friday, December 10, 2004

A non-Christian's view on Evangelism

The New testament offers a picture: a God who does not sound at all vague to me. He sent his Son to Earth. He has distinct plans for each of us personally and can communicate directly with us. We are capable of forming a direct relationship, individually, with him, and are commanded to try. We are told this can be done only through his Son. And we are offered the prospect of eternal life - an afterlife in happy, blissful or glorious circumstances - if we live this life in a certain manner.

Friends if i believed that, or even a tenth of that, how could i care which version of the prayer book was being used? I would drop my job, sell my house, throw away my possessions, leave my acquaintances and set out into the world burning with desire to know more and when i found out more, to act upon it and tell others.

How is it possible to be indifferent to the possibility, if one believes it to be a possibility , that a being of this order makes demands of this order upon you or me, and that in 30, 20, 10 years -perhaps tomorrow - we shall be taken from this life and ushered into a new one whose nature will depend on our obedience, now, to His will? Far from being puzzled that the Mormons or JW's should knock on my door, i am unable to understand how anyone who believed that what is written in the Bible could choose to spend his waking hours in any other endeavour.

(written by Christian Sceptic - Matthew Parris)

His theology may not be entirely accurate, but I'm convinced that the rebuke is an indictment on all Christians - most especially me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home